After this year, SouthFest is losing a number of key leaders and we need new volunteers to join us in order to continue this great tradition.
What is SouthFest?
SouthFest is Newton South’s PTSO-sponsored, parent-run after prom party. Each year, Newton South families (grades 9-12) work together to provide graduating seniors and their dates with a safe and fun after-prom experience. Taking place at Newton South, SouthFest runs immediately after the prom from midnight to 4:00AM. We provide a casino, events, entertainment, food, dancing, and much more. If you are new to the Newton South community you probably don’t realize the enormous scale of SouthFest. We completely decorate a large part of the school to fit with the top-secret theme of the event, which changes every year. Check out these pictures for a sense of the scope of the transformation! The SouthFest Committee is responsible for creating this event.
How Does the SouthFest Committee Work?
Though most of the visible activity occurs the day of the Prom and SouthFest, the real work of creating SouthFest begins the previous January. The SouthFest Committee is a volunteer organization consisting of parents of current Newton South Students. The Committee completely plans, organizes and creates the event. Parents often join the committee when their children are Freshmen or Sophomores but all grade levels are welcome. As students graduate, the parents “graduate” with them and retire from the Committee. Committee members are responsible for producing different parts of the event. We generally meet once a month starting in January and are in contact via email between meetings. There may be additional emails or meetings that reflect each particular sub-committee’s work.
This is the last year for many key Committee members and we need new recruits to maintain the high quality of SouthFest!
What Positions Are on the SouthFest Committee?
The following standing committees are how we divide up the work of creating and running SouthFest. Positions followed by a pair of asterisks are losing key members this year!
- SouthFest Co-Chairs ** – Responsible for the overall coordination of the event
- Decorations ** – Responsible for designing, building and installing the event
- Food ** – Responsible for the coordination of food donations and overseeing the food distribution during the event
- Entertainment ** – Responsible for coordinating the various outside vendors
- Communications ** – Responsible for creating emails, updating the website, and other communications
- Treasurer – Responsible for monitoring the donations and paying the vendors
- Volunteer Coordination – Responsible for coordinating the volunteers that staff the event
- Clean Up – Responsible for putting the school back in working order after the event
Shadowing Current Committee Members?
To phase in new members, we have them “shadow” or follow the current leadership members to get familiar with our existing process and learn the ropes. That is why we need people now before we get underway with the 2013 event.
How to Raise Your Hand to Help?
Volunteering is easy. Visit the SouthFest website, click on your area of interest and add your contact information. Note in the free area that you are interested in one of the leadership positions and a current SouthFest team member will contact you. We thank the Newton South community for all of your strong support over the years, and with your help look forward to another fantastic SouthFest in 2013!