As Newton South’s regular Winter season comes to a close, we can see that our teams have been very successful this winter — and that we’ll have an exciting tournament season! We have so much to be proud of at South:
- Boys Gymnastics won the State championship. Tomer Keren finished second in the High Bar and 6 All around, Miles Welbourn finished 6 in the vault, while Idor Tamir finished top 20 in the High Bar and the Pommel Horse. Their scores, along with Adam Iskandar’s, contributed to the State championship won by the team.
- Girls Gymnastics finished second at the DCL and are heading for a great State meet. The team was the DCL dual-meet champ.
- Boys Hockey won their first-ever DCL title.
- Girls Basketball just clinched the DCL Co-Championship.
- Boys Basketball already qualified for States.
- The Wrestling team is competing at Sectionals tomorrow here at South.
- One of our track runners, Phil Batler, is the Division 1 State champ in the 300 meters, and several girls and boys athletes qualified for the All State meet.
- Our Swimmers and Divers had a stellar year, breaking several school records, and they are competing in States this weekend.
- Nordic Ski had their State championship last Wednesday, and the Alpine team is having their last regular race today while preparing for states.