As has become a tradition this year at Newton South, before each season begins the teams engage in community service projects in Lions’ Pride Day. Last week, coinciding with Newton Serves, players from Girls Lacrosse, Baseball, Boys Volleyball, Girls and Boys Track, Boys and Girls Tennis, Softball, and Boys Lacrosse all participated in a variety of projects:
- The Girls Freshman Lax team helped at the Auburndale library.
- Boys Baseball, Volleyball, Girls Lax and Track worked in mulch and cleaned the courtyard garden.
- Boys and Girls Tennis worked in the front of the school and then cleaned the area around the tennis courts. The tennis courts spectators area was also cleaned to make space for viewing games.
- The Girls Track team picked up trash around our whole campus, including the tennis courts.
- Boys Lax picked up trash around Brandeis Field.
- Girls Lax and Boys Volleyball helped clean up South’s Farm site.
- The Volleyball team also cleaned and organized the trophy cases in the lobby.
Kudos to all our athletes for their commitment to service and to coaches Jampol, McFarland, McWalter, Kaplan, Widrick, and Elwell for their leadership, hard work, and help! The Booster Club would also like to thank parents Shannon Smith and Diane Roberts for their help with this year’s NewtonServes and Lion’s Pride Day.