Please support the work of the PTSO by making the $70 contribution to PTSO dues when you confirm your directory information. We realize that all families are not able to contribute at that level, and we are grateful for any contribution your family can make. If you are able to offer some additional financial support to the PTSO, we are grateful for that as well. To be clear, the $70 contribution you make when you confirm your directory information is not a payment for the directory. The $70 represents your PTSO dues which are the major source of funding for annual PTSO activities.
Fort those of you who would like to know more about how the PTSO uses the dues, here is some information based on last year’s budget:
- $48,000 in basic operating expenses (not including SouthFest or Success@South)
- $28,000 or close to 60% on departmental and program support, student academic and wellness activities, and our grant program for teachers to enrich the learning environment for our kids.
- $4,000 on communications including website expenses and the directory to keep families connected to the school and each other.
- $4,000 on PTSO sponsored events for students including the senior luncheon, Halloween candy give away, winter hot chocolate and cookies study break, and a spring ice cream sundae party (one for seniors and another one for all the other students during review week!)
- $6,000 on faculty appreciation including a welcome back luncheon for teachers, a light dinner on the evening of parent teacher conferences, and an end of year breakfast. This past year, we also partnered with the North PTSO to provide a pizza lunch at a joint South/North faculty training.
- $6,000 on numerous other smaller expenses including PayPal fees, office supplies, administrative costs like insurance, landscaping supplies and Newton Serves, to name a few.
This year, it is our goal to raise enough money to cover our basic operating expenses as well as our SouthFest expenses through our annual fall dues drive. For parents who have not heard of SouthFest, it is the PTSO party for the seniors which takes place at the high school after the prom. The bulk of the SouthFest expenses are for entertainment vendors which we need to reserve and pay deposits for several months in advance. While we have historically done our fundraising for SouthFest in the spring, we fell a bit short of our fundraising needs this past spring. Not a drastic amount, but enough to remind us that a more fiscally sensible approach is to have the funds in hand when we plan the evening.
In order to cover our basic operating expenses as well as SouthFest expenses, we need to raise about $65,000 through our fall dues drive. Please make a contribution through your PTSO dues to help us to continue to support the South students, faculty and staff. Thank you for your support!