We have had a great response to our fall membership drive so far and we are very appreciative of all the South families who have generously contributed. By contributing to the PTSO, you help us to provide critical funds at the start of the school year to departments and programs. You make it possible to sustain our grant program so that teachers can bring innovative lessons and materials into their classrooms. And you provide the support that makes it possible to show our kids some love by handing out candy at Halloween, cookies and hot chocolate when it’s cold outside, and ice cream sundaes in the spring. This year, we would also like to raise enough from PTSO dues to fund SouthFest, the PTSO sponsored party for seniors after the prom. We want to offer this year’s seniors an exciting evening of fun activities, but we need to have the funds to do so well in advance of the actual party so we can plan the event.
We have raised $43,000 so far and are very hopeful that we can reach our goal of $65,000. You can help us by contributing $70 to PTSO dues when you confirm your directory information. We realize that all families are not able to contribute at that level, and we are grateful for any contribution your family can make. If you are able to offer some additional financial support to the PTSO, we are grateful for that as well. Read on if you are interested in a more detailed breakdown of how we use the PTSO dues.
- $48,000 in basic operating expenses (not including SouthFest or Success@South)
- $28,000 or close to 60% on departmental and program support, student academic and wellness activities, and our grant program for teachers to enrich the learning environment for our kids.
- $4,000 on communications including website expenses and the directory to keep families connected to the school and each other.
- $4,000 on PTSO sponsored events for students including the senior luncheon, Halloween candy give away, winter hot chocolate and cookies study break, and a spring ice cream sundae party (one for seniors and another one for all the other students during review week!)
- $6,000 on faculty appreciation including a welcome back luncheon for teachers, small welcome gifts for new teachers, a light dinner on the evening of parent teacher conferences, and an end of year breakfast. This past year, we also partnered with the North PTSO to provide a pizza lunch at a joint South/North faculty training.
- $6,000 on numerous other smaller expenses including PayPal fees, office supplies, administrative costs like insurance, landscaping supplies and Newton Serves, to name a few.