As the winter season is upon us, the Newton Boys & Girls Club annual Winter Basketball League will be starting in late November. Coming off of a strong season last year when the league consisted of 20 teams with high competition, they look to continue the streak.
The Boys & Girls Club is looking for volunteers who can commit to:
- 2 hours weekly of coaching, 1 hour on a week night and 1 hour Saturday morning/afternoon
- 2-7 hours of refereeing between Friday nights 5:00 – 8:00 pm or Saturdays 9:00 am – 2:00 pm
- Commitment would be needed through mid-March
These leagues success relies on our amazing volunteers and community sponsors. Please consider donating your time as a coach or referee and help the Winter Basketball program grow. Click here for a link for our volunteer application.
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to email email@example.com or call Jordan at 617-630-2066 ext 121.
Each team is designated one practice and one game per week. Practices and games are about an hour long. Games are Saturday mornings/afternoon depending on which age group is playing. This league consists of three divisions.
- Development League (Grades K-2) The Development League will focus on player development both on and off the court. There will be a skills and drills segment along with team-building and discipline. The season ends with a tournament in which all teams compete. All games will be played on Fridays.
- Premier League (Grades 3-5) The foundation of the Premier League is built on learning the basic fundamentals of the game. All games will be played on Saturdays.
- Junior League (Grades 6-8) The Junior League is designed to help players prepare for a higher level of competition. They’ll be introduced to team concepts such as zone defense, team defense, motion offense and proper floor spacing. All games will be played on Saturdays.