Mayor Fuller is inviting all community members to attend a meeting to see the first draft of the Vision Plan and zoning recommendations for the Hello Washington Street project.
For more information and FAQs visit www.newtonma.gov/washingtonstreetvision
. Follow the project on Facebook
Plan Open House
October 24th, 6:00 – 8:30 pm
Newton North High School, 457 Walnut Street
What’s happening on October 24th?
- People will have an opportunity to view the first drafts of the vision plan and zoning recommendations for Hello Washington Street! These are ideas for the future of Washington Street from West Newton, to Newtonville, and up to Newton Corner.
- Images, drawings, and text will show options for what these areas on Washington Street could look like 5 years in the future. Other images and drawings will show options for these areas 20+ years in the future.
- Starting at 6:00 pm, enjoy food and refreshments and view the design gallery. Then at 6:30 pm there’ll be an overview presentation by Principle Group, with an introduction from Mayor Fuller. Next, you can rotate through the room to visit stations set up by geography, including West Newton, Newtonville, and the area near Crafts Street at Washington. Learn about Washington Street itself and options for how to make the road safer and easier to navigate. If you arrive after the event has started, they’ll provide the overview presentation you missed at the beginning and throughout the event, members of the planning team will be answering questions and listening to feedback. The event will end with a recap and Q&A.
What happens next?
- This event will be followed by a month-long comment period, when people will be asked to go online to read the draft documents and leave their comments directly on the pdf. Paper copies will be available too at the Newton Library with a way for people to give input.
- In person events like topic-specific forums and drop-in office hours will be held later this year where you can ask more questions and discuss the ideas more in depth. Dates will be announced at the Plan Open House event on October 24th.
- At the end of January, the second draft of the vision plan and zoning recommendations will be released followed by a second comment period as the planning team refines the plan into a final version for review by City Council.
What should I do?
- Come in person, if you can, for the event! Tell your neighbors, friends, and colleagues! After the event, please read the plan and provide your comments online. Stay involved in the process as they move from first draft to second draft.