The Athletics Department is very grateful to Newton Community Education for their generous donation toward the new Field House scoreboards. Thank you, NCE, for supporting our student-athletes!
- The Boys and Girls Ice Hockey teams traveled offshore to play their games. The Girls team defeated Martha’s Vineyard 1-0 with 8 minutes left in the game! The Boys team played two games on Nantucket. They tied the first game 5-5 and won the second 8-3.
- The Girls Basketball team won their home opening against Bedford 60-29, while the Boys Basketball team gave a great battle against Bedford, with a final score of 43-48.
- The Swim team defeated Cambridge in both boys and girls divisions.
- The Wrestling team won their home opener against Acton-Boxboro. This year the team has many new members.
- The Girls Gymnastics team’s first meet is today (Friday, December 15) against Newton North.
- Our Boys Gymnasts are part of the Newton team that will be defending the State title this season.
- Both Track teams will travel to Reggie Lewis today for their first league meet.
- The Dance team will provide the halftime performance at our Friday basketball games. The team was the runner-up at the Fall State Championship.
- Nordic and Alpine athletes are making great use of our Fitness Center while waiting for the snow to fall. Both teams have more than 30 participants.
Please check our Athletics page for schedules, and come to support your team!
During Lions Pride Day our student leaders asked all of our Winter teams to collect hats, gloves, and socks for the homeless. You can bring the items to the Athletics office and leave them in the box marked for that purpose by Friday, December 22. We encourage all of our athletes to think about the needy during this time of the year. Our leaders will take the donations to the Pine Street Inn shelter. Thank you for your kindness.
The fees are due for the Winter season. Please see below for payment options:
- Unipay: Pay online with Unipay. Go to the Athletics page of the Newton South website and click on the red box called “Unipay Gold.” Select “NSHS” on the drop-down menu.
- Check: Write a check, payable to Newton Public Schools, and bring it directly to the Athletics office.
- Waiver Form: Waiver forms are available online as well as in the Athletics office for families requesting financial assistance. A blank waiver form can be found on the FamilyID registration page. Please note that all waiver forms must be sent to the Newton Public Schools Business Office and that waiver information is strictly confidential.
Here’s a breakdown of the Athletics fees for the 2017–2018 school year:
- All sports (except Football, Ice Hockey, Alpine Skiing): $325 per season per sport
- Football, Ice Hockey, Alpine Skiing: $425
- HS Athletics Family Cap: $975 (high school sports only)
- Family Supercap: $1,500
As always, please contact the Athletics Department at 617-559-6599 with any questions.
Thank you to the parents who attended our Winter sports night. We were exited to share with them the work that our coaches and athletes are doing within the frame of our core values. Your support and understanding is invaluable. We encourage you to check the presentation by clicking on the link under announcements on the Athletics page if you were not able to attend Monday night.
Our athletes came together and worked in small groups to identify the characteristics of positive leaders as well as describe what South athletes are, do, and embrace. The posters that they created are displayed in the Field House lobby. We also talked about recognizing our diversity and celebrating the different gifts that diversity brings to our school community. At the end of the workshop four of our student leaders—Chloe Frantzis, Zoe Gulab, Luke Cloud, and Noah Whiting—launched this winter’s community action: the athletes will collect hats, socks, and gloves to be donated to the Pine Street Inn homeless shelter. Items can be dropped off in the box outside the Athletics office. New socks are especially needed at the shelter. Collections will take place until the winter break.
The new scoreboard and shot clocks are installed in the Field House! The system will be completed when the second board arrives in a few weeks. However, the installed pieces are fully functional and will be in use during the scrimmage to be held tonight (Friday, December 8). Thank you to the PTSO, alums, the district, and the Booster Club for making the purchases possible.
Fees for Winter sports are now due. Please make your payments by using UniPay or by check made out to Newton Public Schools. Please send the dues promptly.
Our teams are opening their Winter seasons tonight; schedules are posted online. All of our events are free, except for Basketball and Ice Hockey. We look forward seeing you at our games. We hope our athletes will enjoy the sports they love and, most importantly, enjoy the learning process, which will make them better athletes and stronger people. Good luck to all of our teams!
The Booster Club is hosting a holiday sales event at Paddy’s (95 Elm Street, West Newton), 3pm–5pm on Sunday, December 10. Get some holiday shopping done while you visit with friends! We’ll bring some Spirit Gear for purchase, or you order on the Booster Club’s Facebook page at Newton South High School Spirit Store. We have several new items and more to come, so get your holiday orders in for children, spouses, grandparents, and all the other NSHS fans in your life.