Q: What are the house phone numbers?
Phone numbers for the school are listed here: http://www.newton.k12.ma.us/Page/1471
Q: What are the houses?
A: To build smaller communities within Newton South, the students are divided into houses. As parents, this is your primary communication channel to the school. You call the house office for absences. Your child is excused from the house office, if needed, during the day.
Q: What is my student’s “homeroom”?
A: On the listing of classes that you receive before school, there is an advisory (homeroom) listed. If you did not receive the notice, please contact the main office. On the first day of school, students report to their advisory to receive schedules. During the year, students meet four times a week for advisory. All students within an advisory have the same guidance counselor and students remain in the same advisory all four years at South.
Q: What is my student’s house?
A: On the listing of classes that you receive before school, there is an advisory listed. The first letter after the room number tells you the house. [C]utler, Goldric[K], [G]oodwin, [W]heeler.
Q: Who is my student’s Guidance Counselor?
A: This is on the course listing. Since counselors are associated with houses, you can call your student’s house office to find out. You can also contact the counselor through the house offices.
Q: When will I meet the Guidance Counselor? The Housemasters?
A: All of the Guidance Counselors and Housemasters attend Freshman Parents Night, which will take place on Thursday, September 10th, 2015 at 7:00PM. After that, you are welcome to call or email them if you need to set up a meeting. Parents who have the time are encouraged to set up a 10 minute meeting with their student’s Guidance Counselor in October or November. This is a great opportunity to check in about your child’s transition to South and to get to know the Guidance Counselor.
Q: Who do I call if I have a problem?
- If your problem concerns your student’s schedule or emotional/social welfare, please call your Guidance Counselor.
- If you have a problem about attendance, tardies, etc., please call your House Secretary.
- If you are not sure to whom you should speak, please call your House Secretary.
- If you’re having a problem with your student’s bus, please call the Main Office.
- If you have a problem that you can’t solve, call your Housemaster. (If you choose, you can always email the PTSO at email@example.com and we can help direct you to the right person to speak with.)