Newton South is a dynamic place that depends on the input of parents. Here are lots of very rewarding ways to get involved. Please email the PTSO at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know which option interests you!
- Communications Support: Check parent email subscription status as needed and other various support tasks. Training provided. Time commitment: 1 hour per week.
- Community Dinner Organizer: Plan and execute Community Dinner, Newton South’s progressive dinner for all parents. Expected date next year is October or November. Recruit hosts, coordinate invitation, set up and clean up. Note: experienced parent available to help you with dinner assignments. Time commitment: some planning required over the summer, average 7 hours per month September through November.
- Co-President Shadow: Work with other PTSO co-president and committee chairs to run Newton South PTSO. Strong organizational, people and technical skills are a plus. Previous PTO experience is a plus, but not required. Shadow this year’s co-presidents to learn the job and begin 2015-2016 school year. Time commitment: 5-10 hours per week.
- Newsletter Editor: Organize, edit and upload notices for the weekly editions of the PTSO Announcements and Community Notes newsletters, which are distributed Sundays at 6PM. Training in MailChimp and WordPress web software provided. Time commitment: averages 5 hours per week.
- Secretary: Schedule PTSO meetings twice a year, take minutes, and write thank you notes as needed. Time commitment: averages 1 hour per month.
- Stress-buster Coordinator: Work with students in the South Senate to create a fun outlet to help students cope with finals in June. Develop ideas of future ways parents can help students learn positive stress management techniques. Time commitment: 2 hours per month, April through June.
- Treasurer Shadow: Reconcile monthly bank statements, prepare and present budget for approval, complete 990 filings to the IRS, track donations to the PTSO, Success@South, SouthFest and South Stage. Experience with QuickBooks required. Time commitment: 2 – 3 hours per week, but more during peak fundraising times. Note: current treasurer, Faith Paul, will continue through June 2015. Parent needed to shadow Faith next year and learn the process.