Houses and Guidance

Click to view List of Emotional Health Resources During School Closing

Q: What are the house phone numbers?

Phone numbers for the school are listed here:

Q: What are the houses?

A: To build smaller communities within Newton South, the students are divided into houses. As parents, this is your primary communication channel to the school. You call the house office to notify the school for any absences. Please call before 10am of the day of the absence.

Q: What is my student’s “homeroom”?

A: On the listing of classes that you receive before school, there is an advisory (homeroom) listed. If you did not receive the notice, please contact the main office. On the first day of school, students report to their advisory to receive schedules. During the year, students meet four times a week for advisory. All students within an advisory have the same guidance counselor and students remain in the same advisory all four years at South.

Q: What is my student’s house?

A: On the listing of classes that you receive before school, there is an advisory listed. The first letter after the room number tells you the house. [C]utler, Goldric[K], [G]oodwin, [W]heeler.

Q: Who is my student’s Guidance Counselor?

A: This is on the course listing. Since counselors are associated with houses, you can call your student’s house office to find out. You can also contact the counselor through the house offices.

Q: When will I meet the Guidance Counselor? The House Deans?

A: All of the Guidance Counselors and House Deans attend Freshman Parents Night, which will take place on first Thursday in September at 7:00PM. After that, you are welcome to call or email them if you need to set up a meeting. Parents who have the time are encouraged to set up a 10 minute meeting with their student’s Guidance Counselor in October or November. This is a great opportunity to check in about your child’s transition to South and to get to know the Guidance Counselor. 

Q: Who are the Graduating Class Advisors and Deans?

A: The Dean and class advisors are really in this role when it comes to grade activities (prom, semi, fundraising, movie nights, boat cruise, etc). Inquiries should be specific to class activities.  For all things academic/social emotional/etc, students and families access their guidance counselor and house dean.

Class of 2022
Advisors: Dave Kershaw and Sarah Maillet
Dean: Josepha Blocker

Class of 2023
Advisors: PJ Quern and Kathy Sabet
Dean: Marc Banks

Class of 2024
Advisors: Daniella Speziale, Kelli Fitzgerald (English Department)
Dean: Meaghan Martin

Class of 2025

Q: Who do I call if I have a problem?

  • If your problem concerns your student’s schedule or emotional/social welfare, please call your Guidance Counselor.
  • If you have a problem with attendance, tardies, etc., please call your House Secretary.
  • If you are not sure to whom you should speak, please call your House Secretary.
  • If you’re having a problem with your student’s bus, please call the Main Office.
  • If you have a problem that you can’t solve, please call your House Dean.  You can always email the PTSO at and we can help direct you to the right person to speak with.