Newton Public School is partnering with JCM to provide Asymptomatic COVID-19 Testing at Newton South High School. The first week of testing started on March 8, 2021. Regular testing is the only way to identify individuals who do not realize they are sick before they spread the virus to others.
Why should my child participate? Civic duty; Contribution to a healthy school environment; Preserve in-person learning; Stop the spread; Decrease transmission; More participation is better – larger group with immunity!
Who can Participate? any students in hybrid A, hybrid B, hybrid C or any distance students who REGULARLY are coming to school — i.e. as part of an athletic team, club/activity that meets on campus — i.e. theater or music, preschool, etc.
Do I need to consent for my child(ren) to participate? Yes, please fill out the consent form by using the parent portal on Aspen. As long as you consent on Aspen by 8pm Sunday evening, you will be added into the JCM testing website by our data team in time for Monday morning (Cohort A and C) or Thursday morning (Cohort B and C).
When does a student drop off swab?
- For Cohort A and C: Any time Monday during B Block. Sometime Monday morning before B block (10:45am), conduct his/her test by following the swabbing directions in his/her test kit and also access his/her QR code on the JCM website. Student will need this QR code to scan in his/her test kit in the faculty dining room.
- For Cohort B and C (who don’t attend school on Mondays): Any tine Thursday during B Block. Sometime Thursday morning before B block (10:45am) conduct your test by following the swabbing directions in your test kit and also access your QR code on the JCM website. Student will need this QR code to scan in his/her test kit in the faculty dining room.
- For eligible distance students: Thursday between 3:45-4:30PM. Sometime Thursday before he/she comes to school for your sport or activity, conduct his/her test by following the swabbing directions in his/her test kit and also access his/her QR code on the JCM website. He/she will need this QR code to scan in his/her test kit.
How does a student access their QR Code? Once a parent provides consent, then NPS will send student an email to register. Student will then go to JCMWORKS website and enter his/her NPS email, select “Forgot Password prompt,” follow the email verification process, log in and the QR Code will appear. South recommends taking a picture of your QR code since the cell service at South is unpredictable. Optional: South will also have wallet-sized print outs of your QR code to give you when you come in for your first test.
When and where do student drop off their swab? At the Faculty Dining Room. Hybrids A, B and C during your lunch period B Block on either Monday or Thursday and Eligible distance students from 3:45pm to 4:30pm on Thursdays.
Please bring to the faculty dining room which is located adjacent to the cafeteria by the courtyard:
- a) the provided plastic bag which will contain your specimen in the provided vial.
- b) your QR code already called up on your phone (or we will provide the print out of your QR code if you don’t have a phone or forgot it)
- c) after you are directed to scan in your test by the staff volunteers, you will be able to take a new test kit to swab and return at the same time the following week.
How do students access the faculty dining room? DO NOT enter from the cafeteria. Enter from the hallway where the entrance to the library and lecture hall is. There will also be staff to guide you or you can go to the main office to ask for help if you are having difficulty finding the room. There will be plenty of faculty and staff volunteers on-site to help.
How long do pool testing results take? Results available to NPS within 24-48 hours of lab receipt. NPS will notify positive cases. Lab reports results of individual tests to Massachusetts Virtual Epidemiologic Network (MAVEN)
For more information, please visit the following links: