2020-21 School Year Re-Opening Updates
- HyFlex Transition Updates
- Newton Health & Safety Updates
- NPS 2020-21 Free Lunch for NPS Students Information
- PTSO Community Forums/Q&As
- PTSO COVID-19 Health and Safety Protocols
- NSHS 2020-21 Freshman Virtual Step Up Day
- NSHS FAQs from September 9-10, 2020 New Families Q&A
- Newton Athletics Fall Sports to SC on September 10, 2020
- HHS COVID Health Manual presentation September 2020
- Health and Human Services (HHS) COVID-19 Manual for Schools
- NSHS 2020-21 FAQs from September 2, 2020 Session
- NPS FAQs for 2020-21 School Year Re-Opening
Q: When will we hear from the school?
A: Watch your snail mail for a letter from South with important start of school information. This letter should arrive by mid to late August and will include information about the school schedule, the Arena Day course change process, and much more. On the course listing page, the student’s homeroom will be listed. The letter at the end of the homeroom number will tell you your child’s house (C for Cutler, G for Goodwin, K for Goldrick and W for Wheeler). In the meantime, please visit the Newton South website so that you can become familiar with it. It is a good idea to check the school calendar once a week as schedule changes happen frequently for various school programs.
Q: Do you have any tips on what I should do to smooth the transition to South?
- Yes, please put your Guidance Counselor and House Secretary’s phone number in your cell phone as soon as school starts, so you are ready to call them if there is an emergency.
- Encourage your student to go to the Ice Cream Social the Thursday before school starts.
- If your student is worried about the large building, feel free to stop in over the summer, get a map from the main office or download one here, and walk around the school. South is a large school and initially it can be difficult to find your way around. The school is open every day in the summer from 8AM-4PM and we strongly suggest you come in and wander around with your child. If you prefer, you can come several times for short visits, each time exploring a different area of the school, or just come once—whatever is most helpful to your student.
- Freshman Parents are encouraged to attend a Summer Information Session with Principal & Deans. Freshman families will be notified of these in early August and they will be advertised in the school newsletter that goes out on Sunday evenings starting mid August. If you have not subscribed to the newsletter, please click on “Join the PTSO Mailing List”.
- Encourage your student to get involved in one of the 60+ clubs, sports, music, theatre, newspaper, yearbook, etc. at South. Students who have a connection outside of academics enjoy their South experience much more and have greater overall success (academically, socially, emotionally, etc.).
- Once you get your student’s schedule, consider keeping a copy in the car, in case you ever need to pick them up and want to know what time school ends on the day. Also, consider keeping a copy near your computer, in case you need to schedule an appointment for them. Avoid pulling them out of school during their most challenging academic classes, as it becomes difficult to make up lots of missed work.
Q: When will my student receive an ID?
If your student is coming to Newton South from Brown or Oak Hill, their student identification (ID) photo was already taken on Step-Up Day back in June, and their student ID will be given out to them at the Freshman Ice Cream Social or in their Advisory (Homeroom) class on the first day of school (if they are unable to attend the Freshman Ice Cream Social). If your student is new to Newton South, their school ID photo will be taken on picture day in September and distributed in advisory thereafter.
Q: Is there a Supply List for Incoming Freshman?
No, there is no common list of supplies which all freshman are asked to purchase. Your child’s teachers will let them know what they need when classes meet. These supplies are usually fairly basic and easy to acquire (graph paper, notebooks, note cardsetc.), and specific classes may require special supplies like graphic calculator. Recommend that a physical daily planner is purchased so your child can practice executive function skills to track and organize assignments and activities. Of course it’s a good idea to make sure your child has some basics like pens and a notebook on the first day.
Q: Where do I find snow days and weather-related school delays and closing information?
A: For more detailed information on school operations in winter weather, please visit our webpage here: https://www.newton.k12.ma.us/weather
For 2020-21, please view updated policy for snow days and technology outage days: https://newtonsouthptso.org/2020/12/12/2020-21-snow-days-technology-outage-days/
Q: How can I volunteer at South?
A: Please contact the Newton South PTSO at volunteer@NewtonSouthPTSO.org and let us know how you would like to volunteer. Visit our PTSO Committees page for more information. All volunteers will need an updated CORI/SORI form. Please click for updated information on CORI/SORI process.
Q: What if I do not receive a link to confirm my information?
A: Please check your Spam/Junk folder, and if there is another adult in the family, please get them to check their email. If you do not find it, please contact our Directory committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q: What will happen if I do not confirm my information?
A: The system will continue to send you email to ask you to confirm your information. If your family information is already in our system from the previous year, that information will be printed even if you don’t confirm. If you are new to South (moved to Newton, from private school, etc) and have not received a confirmation request in August, please email our Directory committee at email@example.com
Q: How do I view my shopping cart and contribute PTSO dues during directory confirmation process?
A: When you add your donation to the cart, it says “You just added Membership – Newton South High School PTSO! Check Out (1 item: $70.00)” in a pink box at the top. It also has “Check Out (1 item: $70.00)” above that. You can click Check Out in order to proceed.
Q: What if I have left the directory system, but I want to donate from there?
A: Log back into the directory software using the email you confirmed your information and click on the PTSO Membership Link on the front screen: https://newtonsouthptso.
PTSO Dues Campaign Questions
Q: What is the Dues Campaign?
A: The PTSO Dues Campaign is our annual fundraiser to support the operations of the Newton South PTSO. The PTSO relies on annual donations from each Newton South family. Our annual fundraiser (Dues Campaign of $66,000) is used to support programs and events at our school to enrich the experiences of our students at South. This includes funds to NSHS departments, teacher grants, and community events. Click to learn more about our Dues Campaign and PTSO Budget.
Q: How can I donate to the PTSO?
A: You have an opportunity to donate to the PTSO Dues Campaign during the PTSO School Directory confirmation process. Simply add your donation amount to your Directory membership before you check out. Visit www.newtonsouthptso.org/donate/ anytime to donate to the PTSO. Contact the PTSO if you have any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org
Q: I’m absolutely certain that my family is not in the directory. How do I put in my information?
A: If you’re sure, then click here to add yourself. The system will warn you if you’re already in the system.