Thank you so much to those able to attend last week’s parent coffee. For those unable to attend, slide from the event are accessible here: Junior Handout
Teen JUST-US is a six-week summer social justice experience for teens in the greater Boston area. It includes a three-day-per-week paid internship at a local not-for-profit. The participants support the organization and work on a social justice project. They spend the other two days as a cohort learning about social justice/tikkun olam from a Jewish perspective, building community, and engaging in field trips and service projects.
Current high school sophomores or juniors can apply. They must be able to access public transportation (Red, Green, Orange, Blue, or Commuter Rail) as our cohort days are at Temple Israel in Boston and all of the internship sites are on the T. There are no costs to the program and the teens receive a $1000.00 stipend at the conclusion of the summer. The program dates for this coming summer are 6/26/23-8/4/23. Teens can identify the social justice areas that are most important to them—and we do our best to match them with internships. More information and the application can be found at www.teenjust-us.org. In addition, there is a video about the program on the home page and many blogs, written by teens, on the “Teen Voices” tab. For more information, reach out to Amy Tananbaum, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click here for flyer.
Newton South DECA is hosting a fully proctored, full-length practice SAT on Saturday, February 4th. This paper, fully-graded practice test is a great way to prepare for the real SAT’s in the spring. Practice tests are an invaluable component of the test prep process, giving students critical experience dealing with the pressure of the test situation while getting a snapshot of how they will score on test-day. The cost to participate is just $25.00 for the test or $50.00 for the test and a review session with a professional tutor on Saturday, February 18th. To learn more and register for the test, click here.
Class of 2023
All NSHS juniors and their guests
May 14, 2022 7:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m.
Sheraton Boston Needham Hotel
100 Cabot Street
Needham, MA 02494
$75 Tuesday, April 5th – Thursday, April 14th
$85 Monday April 25th – Friday, April 29th
$90 May 2nd- May 11th
Ticket Sales end Wednesday, May 11th
Tickets will be on sale in the Student Center near the College & Career Center beginning on Tuesday, April 5th. Tickets will be sold per the tiered pricing schedule above. Please make checks payable to Newton South High School. On the memo line please write Student Name & Class of 2023.
To attend, all necessary forms must be signed and handed in at the ticket table at the time of your ticket purchase. Your name will NOT be added to the official guest list unless your forms are correct and complete.
Every NSHS junior needs: General Permission Slip
Non-NSHS guests and NSHS grades 9, 10, or 12 need: Special Guest Form and copy of ID
All juniors are welcome to attend the dance and can bring one guest from the junior class or any other grade at South. All guests from outside of South and those NSHS students in grades 9, 10 or 12 need to fill out a Special Guest Form, which may be found in the house offices. A copy of the guest’s student ID MUST accompany their Special Guest Form. All forms MUST be turned in at the time of ticket purchase.
Financial Aid: Please speak with your House Dean
Picture Day will not be happening tomorrow, September 14, 2021. The photographer has postponed. More information to follow.
The PSAT will be given at Newton South High School on Sat, October 16, 2021.
- Juniors are eligible to take the exam and are encouraged to take this exam as part of the preparation for spring SAT tests.
- Juniors may qualify for the National Merit Scholarship Program based on their PSAT score.
- There is no make-up date for the PSAT.
- The registration fee for the PSAT at NSHS is $30.00.
- Payment will be made via the online registration system, MySchoolBucks. (See below for details.) DO NOT send payment to school.
- If a student qualifies for free/reduced school lunch, MySchoolBucks should recognize eligibility and waive the fee. If you are not registered for free/reduced price lunch but the registration fee is a hardship for your family, please contact your school counselor to discuss your registration.
Registration Dates and Information:
- For the 2021 PSAT/NMSQT, students at NSHS will be registering online. This registration will take a few minutes and can be completed from any computer with Internet access. Paper and pencil registrations WILL NOT be accepted.
- Newton South High School is excited to offer families the convenience of paying exam fees online at the time of registration. Please be sure to have a debit or credit card available before beginning registration. If you do not have a method for online payment or prefer not to complete an online transaction, please contact your child’s counselor.
- Online Exam registration will begin on Wednesday September 1, 2021 and end on Friday October 1, 2021. In order to register, students should click on the link provided on the school website or visit https://www.myschoolbucks.com/ to register. Please note, this link will only work for families with a Newton South junior.
- Registration Tutorial Video
Information Regarding APPROVED College Board Accommodations:
- Students who have approved testing accommodations must include their SSD number on their registration.
- If a student has an IEP or a 504 Accommodation Plan with the Newton Public Schools, they are not automatically guaranteed approval from the College Board.
- Students who want to apply for testing accommodations should contact their Special Education Liaison and/or School Counselor if they have any questions.
Welcome home to Newton South! Welcome returning and new families! I hope this email finds you and your loved ones doing well!
I am Michelle Wetlaufer and I am so excited for my first year as Newton South’s PTSO’s President. I look so forward to working with all of you to make this school year great.
I am so happy to welcome so many new members to our community including our new Principal, Tamara Stras, and our new Vice Principal, Jason Williams. I am excited for you to meet them as we get the school year started!
The PTSO works with South Administration and staff to communicate information in a timely manner, help support and engage our community for input and ideas, and to stay connected even when we are apart. Please click here to subscribe to the PTSO Newsletter.
As we kick off our 2021-22 school year, the PTSO is launching our School Directory Confirmation process and our Annual Dues Campaign. Look for an email to confirm your families’ directory information. Every family must confirm their information to be included in the online and printed version. When you confirm your information you will have an opportunity to contribute to our annual Dues Campaign. Your annual Dues donation is used 100% to support our school community and enrich the experiences of our students at South. The PTSO relies on annual donations of $70 from each Newton South family. This donation will ensure we meet our 2021-22 budget of $66,000.
As this school year begins, I thank you all for joining me on this journey whatever part you may play. I ask you to keep in mind my personal motto ‘that which does not bend breaks’. Whether it is from an Aesop Fable or Tanzanian Proverb it has especially come in handy these last 18 months. I hope that you can join me in maintaining flexibility as we re-enter the new school year. I know we all are looking forward to creating an amazing (slightly normal?) year for our kids.
If you have questions or you would like to volunteer for one of our committees please don’t hesitate to contact me at info@newtonsouthPTSO.org. Stay tuned for more news as we prepare for the start of the school year on September 9, 2021.
Stay well and enjoy the rest of the summer days!
NSHS PTSO President,
Last week, email was sent to students that South had extended the window until midnight Friday, April 16 for students to fill out the course verification form located here: https://forms.gle/uH1rxtnfv3vYNXdG8
There are still around 300 students out of 1800 that have not filled out the form.
A reminder that ALL NINTH, TENTH AND ELEVENTH grade students need to fill out the form, EVEN if no changes to their requests need to be made.
By late Monday morning, 4/26, updated verification forms reflecting any changes to student course requests for next year made between 4/14 and 4/16 will be published to the documents section of Aspen.
Finally, please be aware that NO changes to courses and schedules may be requested by students after 4/26 as we need to start staffing our courses and determining final numbers of course sections.