Newton South Girls Volleyball Preseason Meeting – Mon Feb 8th at 7PM
Date: Monday, February 8
Time: 7:00pm (will last about 30-45 minutes)
Zoom Meeting Link: https://newton-k12-ma-us.zoom.
Meeting ID: 970 6094 3415
Passcode (case sensitive): URGreat
Follow us at: https://www.instagram.com/
Frequently Asked Questions
How many teams will the volleyball program have this year?
- We are waiting on guidance from the City and our athletic department on this question. For reference, in the past we’ve had a Varsity, a Junior Varsity, and a Freshmen team.
Will there be matches against other schools?
- We are waiting on guidance from the City and our athletic department on this question. Winter sports are currently having matches against other schools.
Will parents be allowed at games?
- We are waiting on guidance from the City and our athletic department on this question. For winter sports, parents currently are not allowed in the gym to watch matches…this will probably continue. However many games are being streamed online!
Who are the Varsity captains this season?
- Hannah Balcanoff
- Abby Matthews
- Maddie Xerras
While our season will be modified in some ways, a lot of information can be gleaned from the South Athletic Handbook used as a guideline for previous seasons. Highly recommended reading for families new to sports at South: https://docs.google.
Fall 2 Online Registration
All players will need to register online for the Fall 2 volleyball season. Registration is not yet live. Once it is live, it will be posted on the athletic department website: https://www.newton.
There is a fee associate with HS sport participation. Families may apply for a fee waiver based on financial hardship, more info here: https://www.newton.k12.ma.us/
In order to play (even enter the gym for tryouts), all players will need a medical physical. Physicals are valid for 13 months…so you’ll need a physical dated no earlier than 13 months prior to the end of the season. (Physicals dated prior to January 22, 2020 are not valid. Physicals dated between January 22 and March 25, 2020 will need to be renewed before the end of the season.)
The physical can be sent in several ways:
- Fax a copy [ (617) 552-5570 ] with the attention to Kristen Hoffman, the Administrative Assistant. Subject – Physical: <student name>, Girls Volleyball, or
- Email a PDF version to Kristen Hoffman, Hoffmank@newton.k12.
ma.us. Subject – Physical: <student name>, Girls Volleyball, or
- Mail it to Newton South with the ATTN: Kristen Hoffman, Athletics Department, or
- Hand deliver a copy to Kristen Hoffman
Freshmen, Juniors, and anyone new to sports will be required to complete IMPACT concussion testing with our school trainer, Adam Hryniewicz. More info to come once this testing is planned, will be posted on the athletic department website.
Safety, and more specifically, COVID safety, is of paramount importance this season. Our goal is to take pride in our excellence regarding Covid safety and to be an example for other programs. Specific Covid safety guidelines, rules, and procedures will be shared ahead of the season, as they are made available by the athletic department.
As a side note, most volleyball coaches in our program have been safely coaching volleyball since this past summer and are very experienced with Covid safety in a volleyball setting. Since July, I have organized volleyball programming for over 600 players (both indoors and outdoors) and plan to bring this Covid-safety experience to our high school season.
We have about 1 month until the tentative start date for our season. Here are some things you can do to help prepare your mind and body, in order of applicability:
- Find opportunities to safely practice playing volleyball (granted this is difficult with the current Covid situation)
- Start or continue an explosiveness/quickness/
strength training program (e.g. plyometrics, jump training)
- Start or continue a cardiovascular training program
- Start or continue a flexibility/injury-prevention training program (e.g. yoga)
There are some great, free guided-workout videos on: https://www.
While our season will be modified in some ways, a lot of information can be gleamed from the South Athletic Handbook used as a guideline for previous seasons. Highly recommended reading for families new to sports at South: https://docs.google.
Be well, reach out with any questions, and I hope to see you at our preseason meeting in less than two weeks!!
Newton South Girls Volleyball